Friday 18 April 2014

And we think we're in control

There's nothing quite like a conversation with a doctor to put you in your place. He's examined you and now the verdict. You are not in control. At all. Sure, you can argue: "But I feel fine." Nevertheless, if it's bad news, it's bad news. Non-negotiable.

As I'm on a break in Nairobi, I thought I'd get myself a health check in a popular travel clinic. Like you do. The doctor was thorough and suspects that I have a couple of infections. Gulp. Then the testing began: blood test, urine sample, stool sample, scraping sample (yes, really)... I find out the results next week. Strumming my fingers on the desk somewhat.



Now (Mum and Dad), I feel great, so I'm not expecting dramatic news next week, but it did make me think: we're not in control. How many people have sat facing the doctor and it IS bad news; terrible news? Too many. Friends of mine. We're not in control.

Give any man the remote control and see how he loves control. We love control, even though control is often taken away from us.

So who is in control?

I find it so reassuring that it is Jesus Christ who is in control. He died for me and for you, and he is in control. He cares about every detail of our lives and he is in control.

The Bible is very clear: Jesus is in control, even today. Check out the book of Colossians, chapter 1:

16 for through him (i.e. through Jesus) God created everything
    in the heavenly realms and on earth.
He made the things we can see
    and the things we can’t see—
such as thrones, kingdoms, rulers, and authorities in the unseen world.
    Everything was created through him and for him.
17 He existed before anything else,
    and he holds all creation together.

Jesus holds everything together, up to this second.

Jesus is in control.

Happy Good Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.